Monday, October 09, 2006

my brain is dying

I can't take this much longer. I need to work. I still have not found a job, and I am becoming more and more hopeless every day. It is a vicious cycle, this job search I am on. The more I look for a job the more I get rejected, and the more I get rejected the less motivation I have to look for a job. My resulting lack of motivation makes me sit on the couch all day and watch the price is right and oprah instead of looking for a job. What's more is that I am not entirely convinced that I will ever find a job. My only experiences so far have been sending out resumes and getting the occasional rejection letter. I am thinking about making a collage out of my rejection letters. Maybe some wallpaper? I used to think that getting a rejection letter was better than not hearing anything back, but now I am starting to wonder. At least if I hear nothing back I can hold on to that glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, they haven't contacted me because they are still "thinking about it." Right, that is not happening. I think I need a new approach to becoming gainfully employed. Everyone else says that one needs to "network" and that "its not what you know, but who you know." Well, I don't know anyone, damnit. I spent the last three years of my life in this town studying with the expectation that I would leave this state when it was all over. Oh how things change. Then all of the sudden I'm stuck here with no job, contacts, or leads. What's a guy to do? I know--NETWORK!! I still haven't figured out what in the hell that means. It seems to me to be the catch-all, scapegoat, fall-back answer for everyone in the world to spit out whenever they cannot give you a meaningful answer. What the hell does network mean? I know plenty of people, and those people know plenty of people. And the people that I do know are fully aware that I am looking for a job, but it is a big stretch from that to actively asking them to help you find a job. That's networking, isn't it? There aren't too many people in this world that will just come right out and give you a job without asking for one. Especially to people like me who have no real world experience. I hate the word networking. Everyone in the world networks, but not everyone is looking for a job. In addition, not everyone in the world has the personality or mind set to be able to play the game. I have never been good at feigning interest in other peoples lives and interests just so I can get close to them and squeeze out a job. I always feel like I am whoring myself out. Maybe I need to become a whore. Maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home